Here are some things to remember in order to have a successfully healed & vibrant tattoo. How your tattoo will look will depend on how good you take care of if during the 1st few days. This is the process I go through. Your body might react & heal differently. I suggest consulting your artist.
1) Your artist should wrap up your tattoo after it’s completed to keep germs out. Keep in mind that it’s an open wound. No matter how bad you want to remove the plastic and surgical tape, don’t. If it starts to leak blood & goo, wipe off the sides of the plastic with a paper towel. I usually leave it on for 2-3 hours.
2) After the plastic is removed, I wash the tattoo with warm water and some antibacterial organic soap. Make sure the soap doesn’t have any scents, moisturizers or abrasive properties. Remember, don’t rub or scratch it.
3) Blot it with a paper towel to suck up the water and plasma that’s oozing from the tattoo. Again, don’t rub it with the paper towel. You can use a regular cloth towel but you might get the towel stained with ink or lint might get on your tattoo. The goal here is to get it as dry as possible. The plasma should stop oozing after about 5-10 hours.
4) Now it’s time for the great debate. You can go with these ways to “treat” your tattoo for the 1st few days.
- Ointment such as A&D or Bacitracin
- Non-scented lotion such as Aveno
- Tattoo products such as TattooGoo
- 100% pure organic virgin coconut oil
I have tried the A&D & Aveno method. I put a thin coat of A&D for one day and Aveno after. I have had no problems with any of my tattoos. Do not let your tattoo dry out. I moisturize in the morning and at night. I would like to try the virgin coconut oil method next. Do not use any petroleum based products such as Vaseline or anything with scents or colorings.
5) Do not cover your tattoo with a bandage. Let it breathe. If you have to wear clothing over it, wear something that’s loose and you don’t mind getting “dirty”. You might still be leaking plasma and it might get on the clothes. I try to wear something that’s 100% cotton and as close to the color of my tattoo to avoid any stains from the skin peelings.
6) On the 3rd to 5th day your tattoo should start peeling. Minor scabbing and itchyness may also occur. Again, do not scratch or rub. Try giving it a light slap.
7) Try to avoid swimming and sunbathing for the next few weeks.
Once healed, use lotion and sunblock when going outdoors.
Still have questions? Ask in the FAQ section.